After attending and hosting several spin jams in the last few years, I have found that there are a few essential things that must happen to keep the community positive and thriving.
Let's take a step back for a moment and understand why hoop communities are so important. These are just some highlights:
1) It's more fun hooping and spinning with friends!
2) You meet new people and make new friends.
3) You'll find more motivation to get out, move around, and get some fresh air.
4) You'll learn and share new tricks with one another.
So, whether you are just attending and especially if you are organizing the jam, review these tips and see if you are already doing these things. If you got all of these covered, comment below and share any other tips you might feel may be useful. :)
1) Recognize lone wolves. If you've been attending jams, then you may have noticed a person or two hanging out at the jam but usually off to the side doing their own thing. Go introduce yourself, acknowledge their presence and create a small talk. If they begin to feel more comfortable, encourage them to hoop closer to everyone.
2) When you notice someone struggling with a move, see if you could offer some support. Sometimes it just takes a little face to face coaching for things to snap into place. We've all been there. ;)
3) Bring something to the jams that people will look forward to. #1 and #2 counts in here, but I'd like to share my personal story and new tradition I recently brought to my hoop community that seems to be getting a really great response. It's called VICTORY ICE CREAM! During the middle or towards the end of the jam, I serve a little ice cream to everyone and have them form a circle. Then each person shares their wins for the week and at the end of their story they say, "And I am worthy of this ice cream."
We like to post pictures on instagram and use #victoryicecream !
The message is simple. It reminds everyone that it's important to celebrate wins whether it's big or small. By remembering the positive things in our day to day lives, it helps regain our strength to push on through obstacles and challenges. The ice cream isn't necessary, but it sure is sweet! Feel free to use this tradition or make it your own with your community.
Comment below and share your thoughts on all of these things and help add to this list.
Oh! And I'm really digging this new tutorial that Deanne Love came out with. Try it out and share with your group.
NEW HOOPERS CLUB
Just starting out?
What to expect:
- 5 weeks of Beginner Tutorial Series
- Blogs, Tips, and Support
- Inspirational articles and videos